Monday, November 30, 2009

Another 8 Game Victory

I haven't been blogging as much lately, I actually haven't been playing cards that much either. I hit Dave's last week for the 8 game and sat at a full table with TK, Meats, RR Dave, Dennis, and Data. I did pretty well, cashed out up $116. Terry was up a couple hundred, he really does well at the stud games (where he learned limit). I was surprised he would even play when a NL game was on, but he stayed at our table all night.

Last Saturday was spectacular. I went early to play the $50 deepstack. I made one bad play that crippled me (called Data's raise with A-10 in position, he had AK, we both flopped an A and I put him in and lost). I doubled up with a good play on Dave (shoved over his raise with 88 and he folded). I got KK under the gun with only 9900 left and made it 2k to go. The button raised to 7k and I shoved, of course he snap calls and turns up 10's and I am out after a river 10. I decided to sit at the NL game and nit it up for a while until the 8 game busted out. I made a huge call early that helped out. I was in the BB and Rich straddled for $2. Couple calls, I look down at Q3s and tossed another $1 in, Rich checked. Flop is Q-J-3. Checks around to Danny, he fires out $10. Jamie calls, I call, everyone else folds. Turn is another J, at which point Jeff R rolls his eyes and slaps the table. I am a bit worried about being counterfeited so I check again to see what happens. Danny bets another $10. Jamie calls, I call. River is a 10. Check-check to Danny, he fires out $36. Jamie folds, and it's to me. I only have $50 left, but I start running through the hand. If he had AQ, QQ, KQ or QJ he would've raised preflop. He could conceivably have Q-10 but I just feel like he missed something. I decide if I'm wrong I'll rebuy and I call. He shows 4-4 and I scoop a nice pot. 8 game finally opened up and I cash down to $150 and move.

The 8 game was a lot peppier this week than the week before. Hip Hop, Colin, and Pro West sat in with us, which made for a lively table. HH did a lot of raising in spots he really shouldn't have (a common mistake when NL players try to move to limit) and lost a lot of pots he had no business being in. It's fun to watch a NL player twist in the wind when he can't bet enough to bluff or push someone off a hand. For example: in 2-7 Triple Draw I make the nuts on the last draw and lead out. Meats gets worried and just calls, and HH two bets me. Colin looks over and asks "What the fuck are you doing?" as I three bet it. Meats gets sick and lays down a 7-6 low while HH calls with his 8-6 low. I show the nuts and scoop. I tried to avoid getting into any NL or PL hands with HH as I know these are not my strongest games and there was no reason to put my stack at risk in a dick waving contest. I did lose a nasty PLO hand where HH raises preflop with 3-3-5-8. I call with AK66 (suited A) and flop the nut flush. I check call his pot bet on the flop. On the turn the board pairs 5's and we both check. River? 8. I check call him again and lost $25 to his runner runner boat. He didn't believe I flopped the nuts but I know that any other way I play that hand I get stacked. He would call a repot on the flop and once he turns trips he's going nowhere. He might be dumb enough to pump it with a flopped flush but I'm not.

Ended up the night +$300 after covering my tournament loss. 8 game seems to be gaining some faithful followers, we actually had more people playing it this week than were playing NL. Chan closed down the NL table after felting a few people. They were begging for players and no one wanted to leave our table. I am confident there will be another 8 game this weekend as well, I can't wait to go extract more profit.

In my next post I will attempt to analyze my history at Nautica and explain why I won't be playing there anymore.

No comments: