Saturday, February 12, 2011

Another DP meltdown

I played the $30 at Dave's last Saturday night and was doing pretty well. I decided to seriously tighten up my hand selection - no suited connectors, no aces less than A-10 (even suited), and I was folding small pairs (<9's) preflop. I built a decent stack early on, buying in for $20 and saving the rebuy/add-on for later. Blinds at 100/200 I get KJ in the BB. Guy in early position limps, TK calls, I check. Flop comes 10-8-2. TK checks, I check, other guy checks. Turn A. TK leads for $600. I read him as weak and decide to float him (as I'm pretty sure he's just stabbing and doesn't have an A). To my surprise the guy after me flats as well. Now I have to catch as I don't think I can bluff them both. River? Q. I have the nuts. TK checks, I lead out for $2500, guy on my left snaps, TK folds. He shows AJ and I collect a nice pot by accident.

I take a few more pots here and there and then get into a nice little cluster. I limp with QJc, short stack shoves in for 1400 more. I call and everyone else bails. He rolls over 99 and the flop comes Q-9-8 one club. 10c on the turn gives me straight and flush redraw. River J and we chop the pot with the same straight. By the break I had nearly 25k in chips. After the break the wheels come off. I limp in with A6s on the button six handed (mistake #1). Flop comes J-7-3 offsuit. Checks to me, I check (mistake #2). Turn is an A. SB leads out for $1000 and I flat call (mistake #3). River is a 5. SB leads out for $2500, I flat (mistake #4) and he rolls over A7 for aces up. Whoops. I still have about 18k left and take a few deep breaths and plow on. Our table gets down to 5 handed as we approach the final table. I get dealt KQ on the button. I limp, SB makes it $4500 to go. (800/1600 blinds). I flat (mistake #1). Flop comes 9-7-6 offsuit. He checks, I check behind (mistake #2). Turn 3. He checks again, I check again (mistake #3). River comes 10. He checks for the third time, I decide to value bet bluff the 4 card straight board and toss out $4000. (mistake #4). He tanks and finally calls, rolling over AK for the hero call and the win. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Down to 9100 I get AK in the big blind. As soon as see my hand the little poker voice in my head says "Don't play it - you'll get fucked" but I am shortstacked. Mid position Krazy Mike shoves in 8500 with K-10. I call and roll over AK. Flop is all blanks, turn gives me spade draw, river is the two out 10. Down to 600 in chips it's academic at this point. I throw it all in with K2d and am busted.

I was going to leave, but my horse offered to front me a buy-in for the cash game. I looked at the table and saw a guy we called World's Greatest Dad (because he wore a shirt that said that the first time he played with us), Jeff R., Terry, and some new players. I figured I'd take one shot at it. I sat down and blinded off a little until I got AKd in mid position. I make it $6, Jeff and WGD call. Flop J-9-4 offsuit. Jeff looks disinterested and checks, WGD checks, I decide to continue with a $15 bet. Jeff folds, WGD hems and haws and makes it $30. I fold and he rolls over 9-4 for bottom two. Oh boy. A few rounds later I get KK. I make it $6 again, and again Jeff and WGD call. Flop comes A-A-9. WGD leads into me for $15 and I insta-muck. Jeff calls. Turn is an 8, WGD bets $15 again, Jeff makes it $40. WGD calls. River is a 7, WGD shoves all in. Jeff calls, WGD rolls over A7 for the boat. Jeff disgustedly shows the case A and folds. I keep getting a lot of playable hands but missing flops or getting mushed. I'm down to about 95 when I get AQ on the button. Terry makes it $4 to go, Colin makes it $12, I call. Unfortunately, so does the rest of the table. Flop comes A-K-5. It checks around to me, I shove my last $73 in. Folds to TK who snaps all-in. He rolls over A5 and I catch two bricks and leave.

I need to tweak the tournament strategy some more, but the narrow hand range seems to have helped a bit. I am still losing to 2 and 3 out miracles, not sure what I can do about that. Maybe fold AK from the BB?

No comments: