Sunday, February 27, 2011

Comeback comes to a screeching halt

I played the $40 H-A mixed tournament at Dave's yesterday. It started off really well for me. I doubled up in the first PLO round off a guy who flopped top set and stacked off to my monster wrap that got there. I didn't get any playable hands in the hold'em rounds. The wheels came off before the break in the $150/300 level. I lost about half my stack to BC after I flopped a monster draw, straight and flush draw plus an overpair. I lost to his two pair 9's and 2's when I caught two bricks. A few hands later I get it all in against Colin and BC. I had KK82 two clubs against Colin's Q-Q-10-9 (also two clubs) and BCs's K-10-5-5 (two diamonds). I flop the club draw and my pair is good until BC catches running diamonds to flush out and stack us both.

I head over to the cash game and it becomes obvious early that I will be running uphill. Brian raises preflop to $7, I am the only caller with AQ. Flop Q-8-2. He checks, I bet $15, he calls. Turn K. He checks again and I pick up what I think is a pretty obvious tell on him. I put him on a draw and bet $30. He calls. River is an A (of course). He checks again and I check behind, he shows J-10 for the runner runner broadway. I thought at first that the tell I picked up was deliberate, but as I watch him I see him do it repeatedly. We get into another hand where he raises and I call with 5-7. Flop comes Q-5-3 (I think, not sure). I check, he checks and does his tell, Nick bets $10. I call, Brian pops it to $35. Nick folds, I shove for another $16 knowing he's on a draw. He calls with his 9-6 diamonds and hits a 6 on the river for a better pair. I also got my QQ snapped off by Colin's 9-5h. I raised preflop, two callers. Flop 9-7-6 offsuit. Colin leads for $15, I shove for 69 on top, guy inbetween calls, Colin calls. Turn? 9. Colin shoves and the other guy calls. He doesn't show as Colin scoops with his trip 9's. I should've left at this point but I decided to try and play through it. I steamed through two more buyins (including turning a gutshot straight and stacking off to Colin again who of course turned a better gutter). I finally gave up and left after stacking off to Dave's JJ with another draw hand that did not make it.

Looking back at my play, it was totally awful. It was clear early I wasn't going to hit any draws, and my made hands just weren't holding up. To make it worse, Colin was in that mode where he gets a lot of chips and just decides to play everything (and hit it). It was a bad table to be at, and I should've left much sooner.

No comments: