Thursday, February 03, 2011

Keep On Postin'

I haven't posted in a few weeks mainly because I haven't really been playing cards. I did attend the Chili Cookoff at Dave's in Lorain, another good time. I played the $50 deepstack tournament and did not make it to the first break. I started off OK, made a few hands and chipped up a bit early on. I then made an idiotic hero call, donked off all the profit after I put a new guy on a missed flush draw and called with K high to see his rivered full house. I never really recovered from that hand. I know the hero call is my weakness sometimes but I was just sure I'd read him properly. Oh well. The hand that really knocked me out was a fucking debacle from go. Blinds are at 150/300, I have 14K in front of me. In the BB with 47h. UTG makes it 1100 to go. He's a new guy, haven't played much with him but he seems pretty aggressive. I put him on Ace/x and call (mistake #1). Flop comes 2-2-3 two hearts. I check and he bets 1100. I took this to mean he did not like the flop (as Greg mentions when people bet the same on the flop as they did preflop it often indicates weakness). I decide he missed and call. (mistake #2). Turn is the Jd. I check and he hesitates. He definitely does not like the J. He takes a minute and bets 2200. I call again (mistake #3). River is the 10h. I decide to open/shove my stack in (mistake #4). He snap calls and rolls over 10-10 for the boat. Fuck.

#1, I never should have played this hand out of position into a nothing pot. I fucked that up. #2 on the flop I should be check raising. I would likely put my whole stack in on that flop, after all what else are you waiting for with 47h? #3 I should've shoved on the turn bet, I knew he didn't like the J and I probably could've gotten him to fold here. #4 Shoving here is dumb, though I likely would've stacked off to an all-in anyway. I deserved to lose this hand and I did. Let's see if I learned anything. It was a bad night for my horse too, he didn't get any traction and busted out later on. As a side note, if someone is backing you in a tournament isn't it common courtesy to send a few texts and update your backer? Even if you bust?

The only other game I played was the CPMG Monday Madness on PokerStars. Typical donkfest, got all my money in with AQ got snapped by a guy with J7s and I am drawing dead preflop. (It was suited!)

In other news I have mostly finalized plans for this year's WSOP. It's my intention to play my first event, #25 (7 card stud 8 or better). K and I are planning on going to Reno for a few days first to visit Greg, purveyor of The Biggest Little Poker Blog in the World. I also mean to visit my old friends Pam and Cherie, who I haven't seen in a while. They moved out to California, about 2 hours from Reno. From there we'll be heading to Vegas for a week of WSOP action. I have expectations for this year - I expect to do better at cash, I expect to cash in my event, etc. I will try to sell some of my tournament action but I honestly don't think anyone's going to buy. Would you back someone as outright terrible as I've been lately? I wouldn't. I think I'll have to earn back some cred before anyone backs me again. I really wanted to go to the Ohio Championship and the Hollywood Poker Open but it looks like if I want to have a serious roll for LV I need to buckle down and keep my head low.

I will probably be playing Dave's this weekend again, I am also going to reinstate my live game updates via Twitter. For those that don't know or follow me, I am @DougPoker on Twitter. I will keep you updated until I bust, which if things continue will likely only be a few tweets.

1 comment:

GregDude said...

I make that same mistake. Reading a player as Weak, and just Calling instead of taking control of the Pot. I guess I want to look like a Soul-Reader by making the Hero Calls. But 4 out of 5 times, it bites me in the ass.

One of these days, we'll all learn better.